By Wan-Li Yang
History of Taiwan
1624~1662, the period of the Dutch occupation. (38 years)
1626-1642, In northern Taiwan: In 1626, the Spaniards established settlements in northern Taiwan. However, the Dutch attacked Spanish settlements in northern Taiwan in 1642.(16 years)
1662~1684: In 1662, Dutch were defeated and expelled from Taiwan by a Chinese pirate, Zheng Chenggong <鄭成功>. (Zheng family: 22 years)
1684~Ching Dynasty(211 years)
1895~1945, the period of the Japanese occupation (50 years)
2009年12月16日This video is made by 2009 Taiwanese Exchange Students in University of Pardubice, Czech Republic, and presented on 10. Dec. 2009 ...
One Day Trip: Love River, Hsitzu Bay,Cijin
Taiwan High Speed Rail ==> Take MRT ==>Love River Area ( By walk or bicycle --> Central Park Station,--> Holy Rosary Cathedral,-->Love River -->, Kaohsiung District Court,--> History Museum --> 228 Park) ==>(around noon )back to MRT, take MRT to Hsitzu Bay Station ( British Consulate + University) ==> Take Cijin Ferry to visit Cijin night market
Holy Rosary Cathedral
The oldest Catholic Church in Taiwan is the Holy Rosary Cathedral, Kaohsiung. It is also the seat of the Archbishop of Taiwan. This beautiful Kaohsiung Attraction was first established in 1860. The church was rebuilt in 1928 with its present dimensions. The splendid architecture of the Holy Rosary Cathedral in Kaohsiung is based on both Gothic and Romanesque styles.
There are regular masses and every Sunday at 10:30 a.m English mass is celebrated. If you are visiting during Christmas, then do visit the annual Christmas Eve celebrations. The celebrations last the whole evening before Christmas Day.
From 1948 it has been the Cathedral for the Taiwan region and for the Diocese of Kaohsiung which was created in 1961. Fr Fernando Sainz (Kuo Te-kang) and Fr Angel Boforull (Hung Pao-lu), two Dominican missionaries arrived in Takao Harbour on 18th May 1859. Fr Sainz and his team purchased a low-lying ground at the mouth of Love River on 21st December 1859. They constructed a mud and straw house here as the first Mission House in Taiwan.A year later a sturdier building was built and was named St Mary's Church. The church gained the protection of the Chinese Emperor by May 1863. The inscribed stone tablet of the Chinese Emperor is mounted over the portal of the newer 1931 edifice. Later during Japanese rule with the increased Catholic population a new building of the Holy Rosary Cathedral, Kaohsiung was constructed which can be seen today. The church was constructed with the donations of the faithful. The foundations of the church were raised by five feet. The plan for the new church was by the parish pastor, Fr Elias Fernandez
The Holy Rosary Cathedral, Kaohsiung is situated just east of the Love River. It is located on Wu-fu Third Road opposite Shih-chung First Road.
Kaohsiung Museum of History, Kaohsiung
The museum is situated beside Love River on Chung Cheng 4th Road in Yen Cheng District.
The museum is the first planned history museum which was set up by the local government in Taiwan. This Kaohsiung Attraction focuses on the history of Kaohsiung. The Kaohsiung Museum of History, Kaohsiung opened on October 25th, 1998. It also has collections from other regions of Taiwan including the National Palace Museum. The museum building was designed by Oono Yonezirou. His design had won the contest for the design of the museum held in Japan. The Museum was constructed by Shimizu Construction Company and was completed in 1938.The building itself became the seat of the Takao Municipal Office. This office was housed in the court buildings across the Love River. In 1947 the building became the office of the Kaohsiung City Government when Taiwan was restored to China. The building witnessed important political history like the harsh repression of 1948, the 1979 Kaohsiung Incident and the subsequent democracy movementThe office of the City Government was relocated to Ssu-wei Road in 1992. But the building gradually deteriorated and plans were made to renovate it. It was decided to construct a modern exhibition centre and to restore and expand the adjacent Jen-ai Park which had suffered a massive fire in its underground shopping centre.
The museum building which was the old city government building was constructed during the Japanese imperialism period. Therefore the design of the building is based on Japanese Shintoism. The roofs of the Kaohsiung Museum of History, Kaohsiung were built in the "imperial crown style". Special importance had been put on the building materials and structural design since the architecture of that period was influenced by the big fire caused by the Great Tokyo Earthquake.
This old building had a rectangular layout with a four-storied front building and a three storied rear building. The three-storied rear building was dismantled and the walls are painted in 'national defence colour' (light green). The inside and outside of it is done in Occidental revivalist style, while the roofs are in Oriental palace style.
The consulate was built in 1865. It is now the most antique western building preserved in Taiwan, which is listed as the second-class historic spot. It was the western building designed by a British engineer and built by Chinese craftsmen, and it is the most meaningful ancient building of Chinese modern history with graceful and elegant proportion. Semicircle arches are rhythmically arranged in order with considerably rhyming. At the corner, the circle arch is smaller and the wall pillar is bigger, which has reinforced function in dynamics. It is the Baroque typed building of the Renaissance era. It emphasizes on the stylish regular pattern and its hollow pattern railings were built with excellent bricks. Harmonious sense of beauty is shown at every turn. Among the existing western style buildings in Taiwan, it provides an excellent example of technique and style and that possesses the value of historical architecture study and conservation value. The building brick and mortar used all continue using the traditional method of Fukien and Taiwan. Some parts are even filled with clay and soil, while wooden truss is built with complete western style. It is the building that has double function, administrative and residencial function, and its style also lies in between them. It is the portrayal illustration of modern Chinese and Western cultural communication, and also the first formal consulate built by foreigners in Taiwan. The occurrence of consulate opened up the development of western architecture for Taiwan in the future.
check further infor:http://uk.khhuk.org.tw/
google map: http://maps.google.com/maps
Cijin Ferry, Kaohsiung
There are frequent ferry services from Cijin to Gushan pier. The ferry is one of the most important modes of transport between Cijin to Kaohsiung city. Travelers can enjoy the panoramic view of the Kaohsiung Port while waiting for the ferry at Cijin Wharf. The view is spectacular from the coffee shop on the second floor of the wharf.
But the best way to see is to take the Cijin Ferry, Kaohsiung. While traveling on the Kaohsiung Cijin Ferry you can enjoy the view of the Kaohsiung Port from all angles.
The ferry journey takes only 20 minutes to Cijin Island. After reaching here you can enjoy fresh seafood at the various restaurants. The island features a number of activities for travelers from swimming, walking to taking a ride on a three wheeled bicycle.
If you are driving, you can reach the Cijin Ferry, Kaohsiung by getting off at the Sun Yat-sen Freeway (National Highway No.1) at Jhongshan Interchange. This is at the end of Sun Yat-sen Freeway. Then enter the Yugang North Road and turn left into Sinsheng Road. Then drive straight and follow the sign saying through Cross-Harbor Tunnel to Cijin. By bus you can take No. 36 or No. 2 to Cianjhen Stop. Then take a transfer to No. 35 to Cijin. Also you can reach Cijin Island by taking bus No.248 from the railway station to the ferry wharf and then take the ferry.
The Old Kaohsiung Railway Station, Kaohsiung
It is situated at the central point of the north-south and east-west axes of the city. This Kaohsiung Attraction is 400.4 km away from the starting point of Keelung Station. The station covers 7.4 hectares of area and is the final stop of TRA West link Line. It was the initial stop of Pingfang Line and Harbor-front Line. Since it was both a "final stop" and "initiating" site the situation was an important land transportation center of Kaohsiung metropolis.
The Old Kaohsiung Railway Station in Kaohsiung was formally completed in 1940. This 3-story station was once a landmark of the city. But with modernization the city planned to have three-rail co-structure and this old station's survival faced a crisis. Since the Old Kaohsiung Railway Station was here for over 64 years it was an important landmark in the city. It had a rich value in terms of construction, historical position and emotional memories.
So the preserving plan for the Old Kaohsiung Railway Station, Kaohsiung was commenced under the consistence of TRA. It was decided that the station will be moved, so for 14 days, from August 16 till 29, 2002 the original station was moved. It was moved 82.6 m away towards the southeastern direction with a speed of 60 cm per hour. It was planned to be a "Visionary Museum" which will display the relative information about the train station. After the construction of the three-rail co-structure, the station will be moved back to its original location. The museum has 10 themes namely -
Scenic Postcards Area
Multi-function Display Area
Multi-media Historical Gallery
Metropolitan Plan City Government Policy Display Area
3D Virtual Interactive Area
The Old Kaohsiung Railway Station, Kaohsiung was built during the city rapid development in 1940. It was built during Japanese rule and was the last completed one of Taiwan West link Line. The interiors of the station have a western style while the appearance had a Japanese grand temple or royalty use design. The "Tangbofong" roof had the design of the Chinese Tang-Dynasty style. The shape looked like the emperor's hat and was then called the "Emperor-hat-style" architecture.
連池潭[ 竜虎塔] Lotus Lake \
This is a man-made lake in the north of Kaohsiung. Nice for sight seeing and photos, especially on a clear day. There are several attractions in the area, so you can spend a couple of hours or a whole afternoon there. On the lake there are the Tiger and Dragon Pagodas and a couple of temples. There are some shops and food stalls along the road that rings the lake.
Lotus Lake in one of the most beautiful Kaohsiung Tourist Destinations and is visited by thousands of holidayers from all over the world. Spring and Autumn Pavilions, Dragon and Tiger Pagodas and Confucian Temple located on the edge of the lake are worth a visit.
check google map: http://maps.google.com/maps
The Zuoying train and MRT station is somewhat nearby.
God of War and Education Temple
Liuhe Night Market( Liouho Night Market, Kaohsiung )
Liouhe Night Market (Kaohsiung City)As early as the 1950s, food stalls started to gather in the vacant lot near Dagangpu in Kaohsiung's Sinsing District. Originally called Dagangpu Night Market, since then, the market has grown over the decades and is now called Liouhe Night Market.
The market is best known for its numerous eateries. Due to its location a short distance from Kaohsiung Railway Station, in the daytime it is a thoroughfare, while in the evening it transforms into a big open-air shopping arcade. There are at least 138 stalls here, and mostly offer foods, snacks or games and, some sell daily commodities and clothing. Dozens of steak houses can be seen clustered here and the key selling point is low prices, targeting family customers.
Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts, Kaohsiung
This museum in the third largest museum in the country and houses a number of important artefacts. Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts is a part of Neiweipi Cultural Park. The museum exhibits sculptures, artifacts, paintings and various art works done by well known as well as unknown artists in Taiwan. A valuable collection of Calligraphy is the main attraction of this museum.
the Dutch period: 紅毛港早在荷據時期就已經存在，荷蘭時期的建築雖以不復存